Holidays (or Vacations) and Their Effects on Sleep

After my last post we headed first to London where we stayed in the Hilton and I slept like a baby or a log -  or a like someone sleeping in the most comfortable bed in the world (because that was what it was.) I slept all night. Bliss, bliss, bliss. Can I go and live in the Hilton now?

The Perfect Bed (Euston Hilton) 
On the right is a photo of the bedroom we stayed in: it had 2 single beds for the kids and one enormous bed for the adults.

Since we slept in equally huge beds in other hotels I can say it wasn't the size that made this bed so good. However, I can't say exactly what it was that did. It had just the right amount of softness for me, but it was more than just that.

The quality of bed does make a difference, and you can't always tell by the price. The Hilton cost more than some of the places we stayed in, but less than others. The cheapest had one of those beds that bounce and shake every time the other person rolls over, but so did the most expensive.
One night in the Hilton I did wake briefly because we hadn't managed to set the air conditioning properly. I now know beyond doubt that Paul McKenna is right when he says a bedroom is best cool. Any time I woke in the night in the hotels we stayed in, it was because I was too hot. At the Hilton, once we'd adjusted the temperature I got straight back to sleep. That wasn't the case in those hotels with the bouncy beds!

Sticking to Paul McKenna's sleep program wasn't always straightforward while we were away, but overall I managed pretty well. Getting up before the rest of my family meant I spent some time in the bathroom, reading a book till everyone else woke!

 After London we had a few days in Paris, where we were up fairly early anyway to see the sights and to do the rides at Disneyland. So getting up at the same time of day, even while on a holiday, was not so difficult. What was harder was to find the time to wind down at the end of the day, with all of crammed into one room. (The Hilton was our biggest room by some way.) But we were so busy during the day, either moving from one Disney ride to another or walking the streets of Paris, that by the time we got into bed I was definitely ready for sleep.

It's hard to say for sure, but I think I did sleep better while we were away than I usually do - especially when you consider that we never spent more than 3 nights in the same place.

We've been home again now for a couple of weeks and the reason I've been so long making this post is because I've been ill. My next post will look at how that has affected following the sleep program.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does Paul McKenna's Insomnia Cure Work?

Letting Go of Beliefs

Illness and effects on following Paul McKenna's sleep program